You can say a lot in 140 characters
Twitter isn’t just a place where people tweet about what they had for lunch. It’s a real-time social information network where millions of people meet to share their ideas, recommend products, ask questions and exchange information. Mainstream media has embraced it, big businesses have embraced it, and your customers have embraced it, too.
Here are some stats about Twitter, if you’re wondering what all the fuss is all about:
- Twitter has over 500 million registered users, handles over 1.6 billion search queries a day, and sees more than 2 billion tweets every week.
- Twitter is the 8th most popular website in the world.
- Twitter is a recommendation engine – 69 percent of users say they’ll follow someone based on a recommendation from a friend
- Twitter is growing faster than Facebook, and is expected to do so through 2014
- In 2009 only about 1 percent of Canadians were on Twitter – by 2011 that number rose to about 20 percent.
Twitter and your business
Twitter is a great social tool for increasing brand awareness, generating leads, networking, and even managing customer service.
It’s ideal for small and medium sized businesses looking to have some serious digital impact for a fraction of the cost of traditional advertising.
Just having a Twitter presence can create new opportunities for your business, as you will become more connected to your customers than ever before. Plus, this connection goes both ways: you have more information about your customers through Twitter than those ad men on Madison Avenue could get their hands on their entire lives.
Twitter also offers Promoted Products, or ads, for businesses looking to get their tweets and account in front of a global audience. These Promoted Products can be purchased on a pay-per-engagement basis (which means you pay when someone retweets you, clicks on your link or follows you), helping you quickly grow your following through social sharing and convert followers into customers.
If you’re interested in learning more about how Twitter can create new business and provide unparalleled market research for your company, please visit my services page or contact me for a free 20 minute consultation.